What is CESTour?
A project funded by Erasmus+, the European Union, called CESTour (Centers of excellence in sustainable tourism to boost economic development and enhance university-business cooperation in South Asia) aims to advance sustainable tourism practices on a regional and national scale in Nepal, Sri Lanka, and India.
CESTour aim to achieve:
• Analyses of the current state of the tourist sector and a list of Sri Lanka, India, and Nepal’s sustainable tourism initiatives. • Developing the expertise of professionals in the development of sustainable tourism through the design and delivery of interactive training.
• Establishing and running seven sustainable tourism centers of excellence at affiliated universities.
• Establishing a partnership between HEI-Company and students’ learning experiences by creating creative case studies for sustainable tourism.
• Creation of a network of cooperation between tourist industry specialists in Asia and the EU.
First insights into the CESTour project:
• CESTour – Erasmus+ Capacity Building in Higher Education – Joint project
• Starting date 15/01/2021
• End date 14/01/2024
• Duration in months 36 months
• Project reference 617991-EPP-1-2020-1-AT-EPPKA2-CBHE-JP
• Grant provider: Education, Audiovisual and Culture Executive Agency (EACEA)
The CESTour consortium:
- FH JOANNEUM (Austria) – P1
- University of Alicante (Spain) – P2
- Universitá di Lingue e Comunicazione (Italy) – P3
- Birla Institute of Management and Technology (India) – P4
- Institute of Public Enterprise (India) – P5
- Nirma University (India) – P6
- Sabaragamuwa University of Sri Lanka (Sri Lanka) – P7
- Uva Wellassa University (Sri Lanka) – P8
- Tribhuvan University (Nepal) – P9
- Global College International (Nepal) – P10
Tourism organizations and authorities, community based tourism and destination leaders, higher education institutions, their students and graduates, tourism-affected communities and the society at large.
Main outputs of CESTour:
- Seven centers of excellence for sustainable tourism at partner universities to promote sustainable tourism development and education
- Offering trainings on sustainable tourism for academics, practitioners and the society at large
- Creation of a network of sustainable tourism experts and those who want to join the philosophy in tourism